Monday, February 3, 2014

Snowy Days in Philadelphia

I woke up this morning to the awaited text from St. Joseph's University, declaring that classes were officially cancelled. As I laid cozy in my bed, I brainstormed ideas of what I could do on this snow day. Typically, I spend hours on Pinterest, drooling over recipes that I will most likely never make, and dreaming of exotic places that I hope one day I will explore. I decided combine these common searching habits and create a list of my future culinary adventures. It is invigorating to think about the massive world and how it is brimming with endless possibilities of gastronomic delight. 



I started with an accessible location: Maine. Well, also because this cold and snowy Philadelphia weather has got me craving fresh summer seafood more than anything. I have been talking about visiting Acadia National Park for over a year now, so I researched some food joints that I could stop at along the way. Portland popped first into my mind and after searching for some time, I realized that it would be in my best interest to stay there for a week... at least. However, the restaurant Hugo’s seemed like the perfect starting place for me. The offering of different local fish intrigued me, but the description of the homey peanut butter cup reeled me in. I am completely and utterly obsessed with peanut butter.

After spending some time in Portland, I would continue up Route 1 and experience the Maine Lobster Festival in Rockland. There was a decent span in my life, between the ages of 13 and 18, where all festivals seemed unappealing and boring. Now, going to food festivals is one of my favorite things to do. Moreover, I still have yet to taste a succulent lobster roll, so stopping in Rockland is a definite necessity. 


It's going to be hard to make it through these next six months. I guess I will just have to imagine myself enjoying a buttery lobster-filled roll in the sticky, salty Maine breeze, when in reality, I am cooped up in snowy Philadelphia, slurping on canned chicken noodle soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment