Sunday, April 27, 2014

Back to Munich!


After wandering the magical streets of Amsterdam and Paris and staying a few short days (spending our time primarily gorging on pasta) in my study abroad home base, Florence, my brother Matt and I traveled to our homeland - DEUTSCHLAND. Throughout our whole lives, we fantasized about going to Germany together and celebrating our native roots. I was excited to go back to Munich and show my brother the city and the cuisine, especially after my successful weekend at Oktoberfest. Matt took the role as tour guide in Paris, but it was now my turn to utilize my somewhat extensive German vocabulary and attempt to navigate the country.

We explored the German countryside to the South of Munich and hiked in the Alps where the picturesque Neuschwanstein castle - the inspiration for Sleeping Beauty’s fortress - hides. Oftentimes in high school, I sat at my sturdy, uncomfortable desk in AP German and gazed at the shiny poster of this majestic castle, instead of listening to the harsh jumble of words spurting out of Frau Stile's mouth. I hoped that one day I would be able to see this beauty with my own eyes. Though a dense layer of fog masked most of the castle, it's scarlet brick facade still bursted through the hazy white blanket. Matt and I ate käse breze and drank Glühwein at the foot of the castle. The cheesy pretzels and hot mulled wine were comforting in the chilly, gloomy weather. 



Later that evening, I brought Matt to the original Hofbräuhaus, which was founded in 1589. I introduced him to my favorite foods from Oktoberfest - juicy bavarian roast chicken with homemade potato salad and spaetzle noodles with grated cheese and crispy onions.




Matt also ordered traditional German weisswurst. The whitish gray sausages were floating in a porcelain pot filled with lukewarm water. Though the presentation was not the most elegant, the smooth, delicate sausages were surprisingly delicious, particularly when paired with the sweet, grainy, brown mustard. 


Ein Maß turned into many..... 75 Euros and five hours later, I found myself dragging my brother out of a circle of dancing Germans to catch our 5 am flight to Berlin.

To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment